Local Governing Body
What is a Governor?
School Governors are volunteers who help to run the school. Most schools work with a group of Governors, together they are called the Governing Body.
School Governors are drawn from different parts of the community and can be parents and staff or from the LA, the community and other groups. This helps ensure the governing body has sufficient diversity of views and experience, but does not mean governors of a particular category represent that group on the governing body. For example, parent governors do not represent the parents at the school and do not report back to them.
How are Governors chosen?
- Parent Governors: selected by election (or appointment if insufficient people stand for election) and drawn from parents and carers of children at the school
- Staff Governors: selected by election from teaching and support staff paid to work at the school
- Community Governors: appointed by the governing body to represent community interests
- Authority Governors (LA): appointed by the local authority
- Sponsor Governors: discretionary category appointed by the governing body from individuals who have made significant (financial) contributions to the school
- Associate members (not Governors): appointed by the governing body to attend committee meetings and/or full governing body meetings due to their particular skills or experience.
What do Governors do?
The governing body has a range of duties and powers and a general responsibility for the conduct of the school with a view to promoting high standards of educational achievement. Its responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- setting targets for pupil achievement
- managing the school’s finances
- making sure the curriculum is balanced and broadly based
- appointing staff
- reviewing staff performance and pay
How can I become a Governor?
If you think you have what it takes to be a school Governor you can contact Mrs Stoneman, Clerk to the governors through our school office to see if there are any vacancies or look out for application forms that will be sent home when there is an election for Parent Governor.
More information is available at:
Governor Attendance at Meetings
TDAT Register of Interest
Contact our Governing Body
Please fill in the contact form below. Thank you.